3scale API Management Review

Really simple integration for developers workflow

What is our primary use case?

3scale: what a really good product to secure an unsecure API if you have multiple backend unsecured routes provided by an ESB (Red Hat Fuse), and available through one unique frontend acting as a secure gateway (with HTTPS protocol and API keys).

How has it helped my organization?

Really simple integration for developers workflow because we have a unique entry point to integrate multiple APIs behind, really straight forward.

What is most valuable?

Thanks to open source communities based on Apiman/Keycloak products, Red Hat adds stable features for production perspectives.

What needs improvement?

Setting up OIDC authentication would be another use case for this product.
That would require at least three components :

Thanks to Openshift Container Platform integration program and features, an all in one product merge is going to be available shortly.

Less than one year.

The resource consumption is quite good, checked by design because the application behind is running in cloud in containers where resource capping takes place.

For standalone host solution, it is possible to instantiate multiple JVM (Java Virtual Machine) based on Wildfly or JBoss and use session memory replication.

For container solution, docker perspectives on Plateforme as a Service high availability mechanisms , it is more easy to clone dynamically containers on automatic load triggers.

I previously used Apiman and Keycloak community version.

Our clients need security patch management, that's why we are using 3Scale from Red Hat in order to get erratas (security fixes) integrated.

Not complex, the cloud integration is even the quickest one based on containers.

Red Hat is a good compromise for now on service support, and it provides short release cycle of open source community (stable features needs by developers).

For cloud solution, we evaluated Apiman/Keycloak community version, then 3scale in OpenShift and Azure API Management.