3scale API Management Review

Easy to deploy

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for 3scale is for promising internal and external exacts, as well as providing HIT to computers.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable aspects of this solution for us is its ease of deployment. Also the fact that it's not adding a lot of features like ESP or similar features is good. It's okay with just being a gateway.

What needs improvement?

We haven't been working so long, so we are just starting to use it. I believe the CMS part of it has room for improvement though. That is where you write a couple of things if you want to publish your API. It's based on liquid scripting, which doesn't seem like the obvious ones to script with.

I would also like to see it work with open API specification 3.

We've been using 3scale for about one month.

It seems stable. It does what it does and it doesn't have that many features, but it seems to be working when you're using those features.

We will see about scalability when we begin to use it more, but all the ops files are done by four people. That's including all other ops as well, so I can't say exactly how much it would take, but it should fit into the ordinary work. We are planning on increasing the usage of 3scale, extensively I think, but we're just in the beginning.

I have a case right now actually. They have been answering, so it has been fine so far, but I haven't used it a lot.

We checked Apigee, but it mainly failed for us. The way we wanted to write it required a cloud and our organization was not ready for pre-cloud solutions. It wasn't a good fit. It was possible to run it on prime, but that seemed like quite a big installation and ops to be running.

I would say the initial setup is straightforward. I haven't been doing the installation by myself. The operation people have done that, but it went well and we had no problem with that.

They said it should take just an hour or two, and we were laughing. That's what it should've taken, but I would say that they were done in a week. I think when you come to a new environment, it's not just the product. It's other things as well. So I would say that one week is pretty efficient.

We had some assistance from Redhat, but it was quite straightforward. We didn't bump into any issues at all. It was on Openshift, so it was straightforward

What other advice do I have?

I would rate 3scale as a seven or eight out of ten. I've had more issues with supporting it. Also, the CMS and Open API specification issues I mentioned above. Those things could be better or simpler.