A10 Networks Thunder ADC Review

Solved our CGNAT performance issues and provides good scalability

What is our primary use case?

Carrier-grade NAT is the purpose of using A10 Networks Thunder ADC at Turk Telekom Mobile.

How has it helped my organization?

It solved the CGNAT performance issues and, within two years, it had no problems and no outages.

What is most valuable?

The Deterministic CGNAT feature.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the scalability numbers for the virtualized version which are comparable to those I noted in my answer on "Scalability."

Every six months we made active-passive changes and upgraded to the latest version of the firmware. But we didn’t have stabiliy issues.

It scaled well for our numbers, up to 3 million subscribers for our most crowded region.

Technical support was mostly provided by another company, but A10 also responded our questions on time and accurately.

We used F5 load-balancers for the same purpose before, but those devices weren’t meant to be built for CGNAT. F5 devices built for CGNAT were also functioning well according to PoC tests.

It was easy. The CLI of the devices are universal and we had to make the solution as simple as possible in order to get scalability.

F5.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise doing comprehensive PoC tests for your specific purpose, for all products.