ACL Analytics Review

It is very helpful in recovering overpayments and accounts payable monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The ability to rapidly test 100% of data without having to worry about altering or corrupting the original data. Can easily find errors and duplicates, as well as perform calculations. Data from multiple sources can be joined. Numbers, characters, and text can be analyzed and even extracted from PDF files.

How has it helped my organization?

It is very helpful in recovering overpayments and accounts payable monitoring. For example, duplicate payments, missed discounts, price discrepancies, and credit memos not taken are found very quickly. It is also helpful in finding gaps in check sequences, unauthorized vendors, and even dollar payments which might indicate fraud.

What needs improvement?

The live training costs are too expensive. There are free self learning tutorials included with the product, but it would be nice to go to a class with an instructor.

Deploying the product was very easy. After I signed the contract, I was given login information and after a short download, I was up and running.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

They're very good.

They're very good.

I have previously used Microsoft Office programs such as Excel and Access. ACL can handle larger data sets. It also offers more flexible testing since the user is able to write their own testing scripts. It is a more intuitive interface and is easier to use functions.

Just a simple download and an Excel add-in bonus was given.

I just did everything myself.

The product pays for itself very quickly. In just one job, you can recoup the cost. It would be higher had I paid for the training though.They have changed their pricing model. Now it's an annual fee instead of a one time purchase.

I looked at TopCAATs (Wolters Kluwer) and IDEA. It seems that ACL is the most prominently used product in the industry, and that is the main reason I went with it.

What other advice do I have?

I think it is great, but requires some devotion to learning. It is an audit product with some data visualization capabilities. It is meant to do data cleansing and finding errors, which makes is much more comprehensive than BI products like Tableau. A CAAT product combined with Tableau if a frequent combination.