Acronis Backup Review

vmProtect is pretty good, hardly ever hits problems, but does not do “what it says on the tin” at all.

What is most valuable?

vmProtect is pretty good, hardly ever hits problems.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to backup our remote sites to a local NAS device, and allows for easy retrieval of data.

What needs improvement?

Acronis Support!

Nearly 4 years.

Some yes – mostly based on the fact that the install nearly 4 years ago was very messy. Different components were needed, multiple additional tasks needed to be done. The current version is easier to deploy for sure.

Yes definitely – back in the early days it was almost impossible to get a week’s worth of backup data without having to start all over again. And by that I mean uninstall, reinstall the whole product. It suffers from these issues less now but that is because we have learned which way to deal with the software and how best to make it work in our environment. It does not do “what it says on the tin” at all. You have to work it out yourself.

Not great to be honest. We had an issue with licences and purchasing problems and the standard response was very poor. Once you get through to the right person though – which we eventually did – they were great. But finding the right person who could help out was terrible

Terrible to be honest. You almost never get through to someone who can understand you, nor who you can understand. To be fair once the technical issue is discovered the skill level of the technicians is actually very good. But the default support responses seem to revolve around restarting the services, restarting the server, uninstalling it, copying the backup job again, etc, etc.

We did yes. We switched because Acronis was recommended as a good backup system for use with NAS devices. We had tapes previously.

What we wanted to achieve was actually very straightforward in itself but the final install ended up being very complicated because half of the things the software was SUPPOSED to do – it didn’t!

We did it all in-house.

This was a staged solution rollout to each remote site – in all we’ve probably spent over £20,000 on the product. In terms of day to day cost we pay for annual support now only.

We did yes. We looked at Symantec and Microsoft. Symantec seemed very clunky and not too up-to-date backing up to digital medium.

What other advice do I have?

Look around for others – choice was limited when we went with Acronis. I think the choice is better now.