Acronis Backup Review

We use it for backing up our VMware environment. Can configure a single backup for all the VM servers.

What is our primary use case?

Server backups, including all of our VMWare servers and a few physical Windows Servers.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't worry that the backups aren't running or panic when a storm is coming through; it just reassures us because we've  seen what it's doing, what it can do, and that it's doing what we're asking it to do. For example, if somebody deletes a file out of their Home folder or a shared folder, then knowing that I've got it and that I can get it back fairly quickly is important. Also, if a VM server were to go down we would be able to recover.  It's just that sense of security and peace of mind.

What is most valuable?

My favorite feature is that we use it for backing up our VMware environment and then, we just have a few physical servers. I like that I can configure a single backup so as to backup all the VM servers. I also like that it gives you a place for backing up to multiple locations of all the backup jobs/plans.

Other features such as setting up the vaults, email notifications, restoring a full VM, restoring just down to files and folders (once you know exactly how to do it, it's very easy and quick to do) are also valuable. So, there are a lot of things that I really like about it.

Special for IT Central Station Visitors: Free 30-Day Trial of Acronis Backup 12.5

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for almost a year now.  I'm not sure about the improvements aspect because it has been a learning experience for me. However, I know that any time I've come across an issue with it, I open a case with support by calling  or starting a chat session and they help me figure it out.

A lot of the times, it was just something that I was doing wrong. Setting everything up has been fairly easy. In terms of monitoring it, most of the issues that I've had were on the user's side, for example for the restoring part, I was doing it the wrong way. However, once they walked through with me and showed me exactly how I needed to do it, then it worked perfectly.

Less than one year.

I have not experienced any stability issues. I had to add some more RAM to my Management Server, and then I had some issues with my Synology NAS, but other than that, no other issues were experienced.

It seems like I haven't had any issues since I added the RAM to the Management Server, but it does seem to start being sluggish because I have it running on a Windows 7 machine. So, I'm considering trying to move it over to a true server (either a 2008 or 2012 Server) and then, to update that. However, it hasn't been an issue since I added the RAM. We added three physical machines that we're backing up now. It was super easy. Once we had the lessons, added that in and got those backed up really quick. That was really nice. We know, at any point, if we have a VM or a physical server that we need to add to make sure it's getting backed up, we know exactly what we need to do and that it's very capable of handling it.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
HenryReal UserTOP REVIEWERTOP 5

Backup VMware is difficult.

24 July 17