Acronis Backup Review

we are able to remotely backup machines across the United States from one centralized point

What is most valuable?

Backup and recovery are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to remotely backup machines from locations across the United States from one centralized point. We are also able to restore/reimage machines the same way. This saves us the ability of shipping and configuring, which kills a lot of time and puts the machine back in service.

What needs improvement?

The compatibility, i.e., the backups need capability with the version 11.7 to 11.5 which need to work together; currently, they don't work together at all. If you image a machine with version 11.7, then you cannot use an 11.5 image. It should be backwards compatible.

If an image is created using the Acronis Workstation Backup and Recovery version 11.5 and if you have a newly created boot disc with version 11.7 to restore that image back to another PC – you simply cannot. Every time an attempt is made to recover a machine using this method, it errors out.

The Acronis Workstation Backup and Recovery version 11.7 is not backwards compatible. So, in order to restore the image, I would have had to create the image originally with the version 11.7. This needs to be corrected or it would cause a lot of work for the tech to recreate ALL of their images using the 11.7 version. This can be a tedious process.

We have been using this solution for five years.

There were no stability issues.

We did not experience any scalability issues. The Universal Restore allows you to scale up and down, which is fine.

I have contacted technical support about once or twice during this five year period. I would give them a seven out of 10 rating.

The setup was straightforward. It was just following the directions on the screen.

We evaluated Symantec Ghost and this product.

What other advice do I have?

It is very user-friendly and allows us to do on the fly imaging without having to take down an X-amount of facilities or schedule a time for backups; we can do backups on the fly as and when they are in use.