Acronis Backup Review

An established and consistent product but is lacking in cutting-edge features

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to backup some core, critical systems in our primary data center.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its consistency. It is an established product.

What needs improvement?

I feel like this product a little bit locked in the past.

This is not a feature-rich solution.

I would like to see a more SaaS-based solution, perhaps more cloud-centric. Essentially, keeping in lock-step with the other companies out there doing platform (PaaS) or software (SaaS) as a service, solutions.

We would like a more cutting edge, cloud-based DR solution that uses, for example, compression algorithms to make sure that backups run faster.

It is a stable product.

I have never had scalability problems with it.

I have not directly spoken with technical support.

We leverage all of our operations through what used to be Dell Services but is now known as NTT Data.

Our licensing fees are on a yearly basis.

We did an evaluation of many different solutions, primarily because we were moving from more on-premise to cloud-based solutions. So, as a result of going to the cloud, we looked at the Best of Breed in the cloud space.

Ultimately, we implemented two solutions. We use a Veeam cloud backup appliance solution and a leveraged TSM environment for our core operations provider. It was decided based on cost flexibility and technology richness.

What other advice do I have?

Because this solution is not feature-rich, we have looked at other solutions.

My advice for somebody who wants to implement this solution is to make sure that they understand the requirements. This includes the RTO (Recovery Time Objective) and the RPO (Recovery Point Objective). Based on the requirements, find the solution that is going to fit best for what they really want to invest in.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.