Acronis Backup Review

Easy to use and intuitive with helpful technical support

What is our primary use case?

Some customers are using Acronis as a backup and for their server and VMware environment as well as their client-server backup requirements.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very user-friendly in terms of the interface - especially if you compare it to other solutions such as Veeam or Veritas. Even introducing it to a customer only requires a brief technical presentation as it's so easy to use.

The way they schedule backups is very intuitive.

Users are able to get into the technical aspects very easy as everything is quite straightforward.

The backup timing and restoring process is great compared to other options.

There's good assistance close by in Singapore and Malaysia and from the support side, we tend to get a good response.

What needs improvement?

We had few issues previously, however, when we raise a ticket with Acronis, we have a local partner.

There are some limitations to the backup. When the client does backups, we found some limitations when introducing computers to their backup - even just their site interface-level backups.

We had some incidents with Hyper-V environments. When we scheduled a backup, they had to open up Check Point before they're taking a backup. Yet, due to some issues, even though there were no any Check Points solutions at the server-side, it was still giving an error from the Acronis side saying there's a Check Point issue. The client, for some reason, cannot take a backup because of Check Point. I'm not sure if this issue has been addressed in the newer software or not. However, even just yesterday we updated to a new system and the client still has issues sometimes.

We had an incident when configuring reporting with Office 365. If the customer is using Office 365 through a cloud conveyor service, it gets a little difficult to configure the reporting part to get notifications to the customer.

In the next release, they need endpoint-level security. They say they're trying to build their system and product into something that will allow customers to not have to restore their backup. With more ransomware and other malicious attack protection, they could alert you to vulnerabilities. This is in the pipeline, or about to be released. I have yet to see any alerts as we just added the newest version yesterday.

We are a solution-providing company. We probably have a couple of customers who are using the solution for three years.

The stability is really good. We had a server that crashed with a ransomware issue, however, we still had the protection of the backup software, and the ransomware did not interact with the backup. We were able to back up everything and remove the backup from the affected server. From that experience, I would say the solution is good and stable.

The solution is scalable. Of course, we need to buy the license. That said, it is not the same cost that you need to pay as you would if you were buying a new one. If you already are running an Acronis Backup version, getting an expansion is less than when you're buying a new license.

There are some clients that have embedded licenses for 100 users or so.

Technical support is helpful. We like that the support is available in the region and it is great working with them.

I have some experience with Altaro, Veeam, and Veritas.

With Acronis, when comparing Veritas and Acronis, even a small or medium-sized customer can access through Acronis. With Veritas, the solution is much more geared towards larger-scale companies.

We are systems integrators and can implement the product for our clients.

The pricing of the solution is reasonable. In Sri Lanka, there aren't too many large businesses that use it, however, there are many mid-range clients that we have that are on it.

What other advice do I have?

We're a systems integrator.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution, however, whether it's suitable or not would be based on each individual company's requirements.

A simple customer likely just needs their user backups to be stored in a server or a remote location. Price-wise, Acronis is best suited for that. However, if a customer needs more features that may include more than just the backups or sync, there are other options. That said, Acronis does have lots of features.

More Acronis Backup reviews from users
...who work at a Non Profit
...who compared it with Veritas Backup Exec
Learn what your peers think about Acronis Backup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.