Actian Pervasive Data Integrator [EOL] Review
The product helps us create and maintain a data warehouse. The installation and setup procedures can be improved.

What is most valuable?

• The product provides lot of flexibility in terms of integrating with Java and handling custom components needed for ETL.
  • We have often noticed that a complex requirement can be handled through Java code called from PDI, if the feature does not exist in PDI.
  • This provides more flexibility to the developers to control the flow and interface with external applications.
  • The lookup feature is really useful and performs well.
  • The product also has a lot of pre-defined event handlers which saves a lot of time.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has helped create an ETL framework that helps us create and maintain a data warehouse.

The ability to read different file formats and databases makes it a very useful tool in data warehousing and in building interfaces.

The event handlers and logging are very useful.

What needs improvement?

Based on the versions that I have worked on, the installation and setup procedures can be improved. The documentation on installation could have been improved to include the following:

• Post-installation steps, such as security setup
  • File References: Needed to make the PDI engine work in a multiple server clustered environment

I have used this solution for four years.

We have had stability issues while handling files with a large amount of data on AIX.

For files with many pre- or post-transformation steps, the transformation window does not open up.

We have had some scalability issues, especially on AIX while using custom components written in Java.

Technical support is an area which can definitely improve. There is not much of a user community or articles on the internet. The documentation is very limited.

We did not have a previous solution.

The initial setup was a little complex due to the various steps that needed to be performed after installation. But with the new versions, this has improved.

Licensing is straightforward and the tool is not very expensive compared to its peers in the market.

I was not the decision maker on this, but we did evaluate multiple ETL products.

What other advice do I have?

For data transfers and ETLs on Windows, this is a great product. However, while interfacing with custom components like Java or other external scripts, the performance of the drivers can be improved.

If you deal with XML files as the data source, this tool works great.