Apache

ActiveMQ Review
Provides sequential message processing and message broadcasting. Distributed message processing would be a nice addition.

Valuable Features:

• Sequential message processing.
  • Message broadcasting: There could be a use case sending the same message to all consumers. So as a producer, I broadcast the message to a topic. Then, whichever consumers are subscribed to the topic can consume the same message.
  • JMX console: Provides a UI to visualize a list of queues and topics on the broker. We can see any pending message for particular topic/queue. It displays how many consumers are connected to a topic/queue. We can send a message from the JMX console to a topic/queue without the need of a producer to distribute the message.

Improvements to My Organization:

It has improved message processing. It removes the tight coupling and asynchronous invocation.

Room for Improvement:

• Distributed message processing would be a nice addition.
  • An older version of ActiveMQ only provided failover, without a message spread across multiple nodes/broker. As with clusters (three nodes/broker), if one of the nodes goes down, other nodes should take the message and process it. If a message is consumed by a client, there was only one way to get the same message again.

Use of Solution:

I have used this product for around five years.

Stability Issues:

We did not encounter many stability issues.

Scalability Issues:

We did not encounter many scalability issues.

It’s open source, so we can’t expect more tech support. But the documentation has helped a lot.

Previous Solutions:

We used JMS embedded in an application. Because of scalability issues, the JMS console, and isolation, we switched to ActiveMQ.

Initial Setup:

The setup was straightforward. Just download the extract and begin the startup script. That’s it.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

I use open source with standard Apache licensing.

Other Advice:

ActiveMQ is a great messaging system for synchronizing call and "fire and forget" types of calls. It can be integrated with Spring, Camel, and Struts.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About ActiveMQ?

Our experts can help. 218,995 professionals have used our research on 5,617 solutions.