Apache

ActiveMQ Review
It sends large messages at decent speeds.

228

Valuable Features

The ability to send large messages at decent speeds.

Improvements to My Organization

It had no impact on the organization. We used it in a solution we built for somebody else.

Room for Improvement

Even though there is support from many open source communities, there is still weakness in ease-of-use and ease-of-configuration for more complex scenarios.

The speed is not the highest ranking, but it's well known by users. They chose ActiveMQ for other features, because they know there are other messaging solutions that can work faster, like RabbitMQ, which is not Java written, but rather Erlang.

Use of Solution

I have been using ActiveMQ for one year.

There were no problems with stability.

There were no scalability issues up to the point when I was involved in the project.

I didn't use their technical support, just the classical StackOverflow support. That gave me enough information.

We didn't have a previous solution.

The installation was straightforward. The framework we used, Spring, facilitates this integration.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated RabbitMQ.

Other Advice

Make sure you need all the facilities that a message broker offers, as there are other lightweight solutions out there.

2 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Hello,

As our system cares about messages persistence, we tried to used this feature over kaha DB and it was very slow compared to non-persistence mode. is there any enhancements can be done or we should consider another queue system,

Like (0)24 November 17
09d5b64c 0687 4127 8149 847a69b7352a avatar
SeniorCo2835ConsultantTOP 20

Did you use async send, should improve performance, even when going in default mode, with persistent messages?

Like (0)26 November 17