ActiveMQ Review

It sends large messages at decent speeds.

What is most valuable?

The ability to send large messages at decent speeds.

How has it helped my organization?

It had no impact on the organization. We used it in a solution we built for somebody else.

What needs improvement?

Even though there is support from many open source communities, there is still weakness in ease-of-use and ease-of-configuration for more complex scenarios.

The speed is not the highest ranking, but it's well known by users. They chose ActiveMQ for other features, because they know there are other messaging solutions that can work faster, like RabbitMQ, which is not Java written, but rather Erlang.

I have been using ActiveMQ for one year.

There were no problems with stability.

There were no scalability issues up to the point when I was involved in the project.

I didn't use their technical support, just the classical StackOverflow support. That gave me enough information.

We didn't have a previous solution.

The installation was straightforward. The framework we used, Spring, facilitates this integration.

We evaluated RabbitMQ.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you need all the facilities that a message broker offers, as there are other lightweight solutions out there.

2 Comments
Ibrahim Abu HdaibUser

Hello,

As our system cares about messages persistence, we tried to used this feature over kaha DB and it was very slow compared to non-persistence mode. is there any enhancements can be done or we should consider another queue system,

24 November 17
Senior Consultant at a tech vendor with 1-10 employeesConsultant

Did you use async send, should improve performance, even when going in default mode, with persistent messages?

26 November 17