Acunetix by Invicti Review

Very easy to set up because they give you an installer that does everything

What is our primary use case?

We needed it to scan our internal network and web applications.

Our security team of five people used it. We scheduled some monthly scans for web applications, which were not being used, to check for vulnerabilities and also vulnerabilities on new features.

How has it helped my organization?

Where I worked was a big group where there were many agencies under it, and we did the security for all other agencies. With Acunetix, we cut the time to make infrastructures and web applications (for our colleagues) more secure.

For one application with two or three critical vulnerabilities and some other vulnerabilities, it took like a week to remediate issues because the scan and findings were really fast.

What is most valuable?

What I found to be valuable was the fully automated scanner because it is really fast.

Acunetix has an awesome crawler. It gives a referral site map of near targets and also goes really deep to find all the inputs without issues. This was valuable because it helped me find some files or directories, like web admin panels without authentication, which were hidden.

Acunetix saves on the cost of time because it is fast.

When Acunetix finds a vulnerability, it also checks for a false positive so it can be a 100 percent sure about the issue that it found. The false positives are really low, maybe one percent.

What needs improvement?

I had some issues with the JSON parameters where it found some strange vulnerabilities, but it didn't alert the person using it or me about these vulnerabilities, e.g., an error for SQL injection.

They need more customized scans along with a way to edit their default payloads. While you can select which check to do, you can't add which payload to use.

I used Acunetix 20 months ago at the last agency where I worked.

The scalability was okay. We didn't need to do much work to implement it into the network or some web applications, so I think it's really easy to scale. We didn't need to do work on it because the solution is adaptable to every environment.

There were about 20 websites and other web applications.

I never needed to talk to the Acunetix technical support.

They were previously using Fortify WebInspect, which was good, but very costly.

It was very easy to set up Acunetix, as they give you an installer that does everything. You just need to click: "Install".

It takes a maximum of 10 minutes to deploy, if you want to read everything.

We did other configurations to enable the IP address to talk to all the networks.

We also used Acunetix on a Linux server. The deployment process was the same as Windows. It was just another installer, but for Linux.

It saved us many weeks of work.

We didn't sell anything with Acunetix, so it was just an improvement for ourselves.

If someone would have hacked us, they probably would have caused much damage. However, now with Acunetix, they shouldn't be able to cause to damage.

I think all the scanners, except Burp Suite, are a bit costly.

Implementing Acunetix needs a medium or larger business agency, because you need some money to get Acunetix. It is costly, but if you care about your agency's security, then maybe it's a cost that might help you in the future.

Acunetix is the fastest scanner available compared to applications like Netsparker and Fortify WebInspect. The longest scan with Acunetix, and it was for a huge web application, took only four hours. Other scanners did the job in six to eight hours.

While I like Netsparker, it is really slow compared to other scanners.

What other advice do I have?

We found 50 unexpected, high vulnerabilities for three web applications. This made our principal a bit mad.

We found three or four DOM-based XSS vulnerabilities using this solution.

It did not require maintenance on our part. We just needed to give it some credentials.

I would rate it as a nine out of 10.

More Acunetix by Invicti reviews from users
...who compared it with Netsparker by Invicti
Learn what your peers think about Acunetix by Invicti. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.