Adaptavist Test Management for Jira Review

A good repository for test cases, but query capability should be integrated

What is our primary use case?

One of Jira's capabilities is as a plugin test management tool and that's what we use it for. It's a full agile life cycle management product. We are currently increasing usage by bringing in other organizations from within our company to use the tool. They are transitioning from either older versions of the tool or from other tools. I'm a company manager, dealing with quality assurance engineering.

What is most valuable?

Test Management for Jira provides a repository for our test cases. We are a software development organization, so we create test cases. You input the test steps, define the preconditions, and state the expected results. Then you can group those test cases together into cycles and plans and track the execution of them.

What needs improvement?

For now, the queries are not well integrated into the rest of Jira. They use a different syntax so you have to change how you present queries when you're looking at test cases versus everything else.

Firstly, I would like to see the query capability integrated into the base query of Jira so I can query test cases the same way I query anything else in Jira. The second feature I would like to see is more visual gadgets that go on a dashboard, little pie charts and bar charts and histograms. There's a limited number now and I'd like to see more of them.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution is very stable, no problems at all.

Capability for scalability is basic, it's not as sophisticated as I would like.

I've never had to use technical support.

We migrated from Microsoft Test Manager because we wanted to use one tool to manage the development and test product process, as well as to manage our test cases. Jira allows us to have the two together rather than using  two different tools.

Initial setup was fairly straightforward because we had to migrate from another existing system. So migrating from something else always makes things a little more difficult but it was fine.

We implemented through an in-house team that had prior experience with Jira and we used them to assist us. They provided all of the technical expertise and trained our experts and they continue with the day-to-day management of the system and support us. Deployment took about three months and the most complicated part was migrating the existing test cases from Microsoft Test Manager into the Jira test manager. So we had to do a lot of manual scrubbing of data and cleaning up the test cases. We are an organization of 300 people with one person full-time working on maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest people look closely at the capabilities of each of the three or four different test management plugins available to Jira and see which ones have the features that are most important to them. You have to be vigilant and make sure that people follow agreed procedures in creating test cases and properly fill in all the required fields because the tool does not force you or require you to do that.

I would rate this product a seven out of 10 because it provides a lot of capability although there is room for improvement.

More Adaptavist Test Management for Jira reviews from users
...who compared it with Zephyr Enterprise
Find out what your peers are saying about Adaptavist, SmartBear, IDERA and others in Test Management Tools. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.