Aerohive Networks Review

Allowed us to take the guesswork out of managing a wireless network. Ease of setup and deployment could be simplified.

What is most valuable?

The HiveManager reporting features are extremely valuable for quick glance at network and application usage of your wireless network.

How has it helped my organization?

Aerohive Wireless solutions have allowed us to take the guess work out of managing a wireless network. The “single pane of glass” view into your wireless network allows you to manage all of your access points and clients in one location, greatly reducing the amount of time it may take to isolate and resolve issues.

What needs improvement?

The initial learning curve when first deploying Aerohive is less than some larger competitors, but still significant when compared to other cloud controlled wireless products such as Meraki. Ease of setup and deployment, as well as tasks such as application access management, bandwidth throttling, and QoS could be greatly simplified.

3 years.

Some initial reading and/or training is likely required before successfully deploying Aerohive Wireless products, however once you have a firm grasp of where things live in the HiveManager issues should be few and far between.

We have not had any issues with stability or the hardware itself. Some issues were seen with older wireless standards (B/G) and needed to be addressed by modifying radio strengths, etc..

None so far.

I believe I’ve called Aerohive support 3 or 4 times and each time I had someone on the phone in less than 5 minutes. No hoops to jump through like Cisco and no basic tier 1 style questions. Just good engineers ready to help.

The level of technical support is excellent.

I’ve used both Cisco and Meraki extensively and have found Aerohive to offer the best mix between stable hardware and software and ease of setup, deployment, and management.

Initial setup can be more complex than a home office or small business wireless solution and does require some initial training or reading at the very least. It’s less complex than something like Cisco WLC.

I’ve implemented Aerohive several times both in house and as a IT Consultant for small to mid size businesses.

Hard to estimate with a wireless network solution, but time saved by keeping your workers connected to your network instead of running down obscure connectivity issues with SOHO solutions is time well spent.

All in, our deployment was under 5K for a medium size office of about 75. There really is no day to day cost associated with using Aerohive. It’s been cruising along without issue since deployment, with minimal time spent making configuration tweaks and updating firmware on occasion.

Yes. Meraki, Cisco, and Arbua networks were all evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

For any wireless network implementation, a wireless survey of the space is key to a successful deployment. As for Aerohive specifically, stay away from older B/G devices if you can keep them off your network, and keep the radio power as low as you can manage to avoid issues with surrounding wireless networks…especially in congested areas/cities.

1 visitor found this review helpful