Aerohive Networks Review

A bit pricey but worth it because of the features and support

Valuable Features

Since these APs are controller-less they are very dependable and easy to configure. Other features that add value to our institution include deployment planning tools, load-balancing, auto-channeling, auto-power, Cooperative Control Protocols, Firewalls, QoS, to mention a few.

Improvements to My Organization

Ease of use and features are its strongest points.

Room for Improvement

Sometimes, packing a wide array of feature into these APs might overtax them. They would benefit from creating more powerful APs (Processing-wise)

Use of Solution

4 years

We started with a small deployment of 300 APs in 2010. Our campus now has ~1400 and we plan to expand to 2000 in the next 2 years.

When we installed the latest firmware versions on these APs, sometimes we encountered major/minor bugs that would force us to roll back until an appropriate patch was released. Also, with some bleeding-edge AC units we had some problems when they were under high client-loads were new clients would be unable to associate to the APs.

Not really. We simply had to buy a more powerful Hive Manager appliance when we went over the 1000 AP mark, but other than that, this product scales very easily.

I would rate it at 10 out of 10 as their staff is very polite with customers.

I would rate their TAC team at 9 out of 10 as some of their Tier 1 engineers needed more experience and/or training.

The initial setup is very easy. the APs automatically find our local Hive Manager and make it very straight-forward to configure.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Day to day cost is minimal, as these APs don't fail very often. The initial setp was a bit pricey as well as our expansion (if you calculate at around $1200 per newly deployed AP, including wired lines)

Other Solutions Considered

I'd highly recommend this product if they're looking for feature-rich APs that are easy to deploy & manage.

1 visitor found this review helpful
3 Comments
UserUser

Great wireless solution for education. Budget friendly, great technical support, and easily installed and configured.

12 December 15
Network Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employeesReal User

I love Aerohive

16 October 16
Orlee GillisConsultant

Hieu, what are your main use-cases for Aerohive?

18 October 16