Aerohive Networks Review

The controller-less device management, built-in captive web portal, and reporting are the most valuable features.

Valuable Features:

The controller-less device management, built-in captive web portal, and reporting.

Improvements to My Organization:

We moved from 6 individual consumer-grade APs to the Aerohives.  Keeping the devices up to date and obtaining usage info from them was a never ending ordeal.  I didn't have 1 controller to deal with I had 6.

Room for Improvement:

The reporting, while a great improvement, is limited, at least in my experience, to the preconfigured charts and templates for those charts.  Obtaining raw data from the Aerohive units for use in other applications requires Tech Support intervention.

The Charts are nice for the circumstances for which they are developed. We just happen to be slightly outside of that so we have to hand write the data to enter elsewhere.

To start with I work at a Library watching and running reports on clients is not really in our best interest.  So  many of the charts don’t help much at all and only if we are making a presentation to the board or something like that.  Which doesn’t happen very often.

We are really just after usage numbers to justify the money being spent.  To be very specific all we need is the number of unique clients we get per day totaled up for the month.  There is one report that gives us a bar graph showing unique clients each day of the month.  However, since we can’t get those numbers in any other form we have to total them up by hand to get the total for the month.

Not very difficult I admit.  However, we need to do this every month for 7 different libraries.  It would save us several minutes on the first of each month if we could just pull a report that could sum up those numbers for us or transfer the numbers into a preconfigured spreadsheet and then just send that to each library.  The first of the month is typically so busy every extra minute helps.

I can also imagine where some places would not want graphs or charts at all, just the raw data.  They could then use the data they need in reports or other applications that they already use.

The way it is now is still do-able and much better than it was.  That was merely the only gripe I really had about Aerohive for which I have yet to find a resolution.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.