Aerohive Networks Review

Controllerless and the Config tool is available as SaaS.

What is most valuable?

We chose Aerohive because it was controllerless and the config tool is available as SaaS. Nothing more to do then pulling cables and plugging AP's into network.

How has it helped my organization?

Before we installed the Aerohive solution we had a few cheap individual access points without roaming or central management. Installing the Aerohive solution brought us a lot of management comfort and a good WiFi coverage for our patients with seamless roaming.

What needs improvement?

The only area of improvement we made ourselves so far is the temporary visitor solution in HiveManager NG which is quasi non-existent. We use an external LDAP server for this now, so no big issue for us.

3 years.

The deployment was without any issues. Once HiveManager recognized all our devices it was just a matter of pushing the config to them. Done.

We use nearly 30 devices for 3 years now. So far we had no downtime at all. During firmware updates we do every second AP at a time so we keep WiFi working all the time.

We only expand the network once until now, but it was as simple as the initial deployment. Add devices to HiveManager and push config.

They send us some demo devices upfront our decision taking. It came with extensive pre-sales technical email support. What more do you need?

We only needed pre-sales technical support with the demo devices they send us. We had email access up to a developer when needed. They had great experience.

We only had some single individual access points. That of course means individual config (no central management), no roaming, no full coverage ...

The initial setup was very easy. Plug the AP's into the network, wait for HiveManager to detect them and push he prepared config. Done.

We implemented the solution on our own, without any previous training or external consulting. That shows the ease of use. It would maybe have been different if we had chosen to put the HiveManager on premise. But with the cloud host solution it was really easy going for us.

We are a hospital and offer WiFi free to our patients and visitors. So there is no real ROI except customer satisfaction which is difficult to measure for us.

When using a smaller network we found it more interesting to use the cloud hosted HiveManager solution. We found it cheaper and easier to start. No internal resources needed.

We evaluated HP but they had no controllerless solution at that time (before Aruba acquisition). The controller price (you need redundancy, right ?) broke their neck in terms of budget.

What other advice do I have?

If you start a new network immediately switch to HiveManager NG. Don't waste your time setting up your system in the old management solution as you will have to move anyway somewhen.