Aerohive Networks Review

Integrated firewall in every AP (with DPI inspection) is a key, yet standard, feature

How has it helped my organization?

Since we started to work with this product, we have been able to save a lot of time, money, and support costs for our customers. Hence, we are able to deliver secure and fast unified network solutions across complete distributed locations for our customers.

What is most valuable?

With Aerohive it is not just about "which features". It is a complete system which is able to serve all types of customers starting with one Access Point with ability to scale to thousands of Access Points.

If I need to point out some features, this would definitely be a true controller-less approach, where each AP is 100% independent from the management system.

Integrated firewall in every AP (with DPI inspection) is a killer feature and it is included already in the price of licence (with others, this feature is an add-on licence).

The feature that everyone should try at least once is PPSK - Private PSK for every user (configured in under three minutes).

The feature that I like to most is unified management in a multitenant environment, where we can manage all our customers with thousands of devices (routers, switches, VPNs, and APs).

Features that also are adding great value to the product are: Auto-Provisioning, advanced troubleshooting tools, real-time reporting, WIPS, integrated radius system.

What needs improvement?

From our perspective, we would love to see Aerohive provide faster feature enhancement in their Virtual Appliance to match the features with the cloud solution more quickly.

Three to five years.

Yes, there have been stability issues with the Virtual Appliance. It crashed once while doing an upgrade. The good thing here is, even if the management system fails, all our networks and features still remain 100% stable and working.

No issues with scalability. We can scale with as many devices as we want, without replacing any infrastructure or adding large bundles of licences.

Eight out of 10.

We were using Ruckus and UBNT. We changed because neither of these solutions was able to provide us with unified management within one central management system. Also, neither of these past solution got even close in features and capabilities to Aerohive. We noticed that Ruckus is, perhaps, 10% better in performances than Aerohive, which is a very small percentage when comparing the complete set of functionalities and network capabilities of these two vendors.

Straightforward. You can set up Aerohive in just six clicks, and the system even guides you throughout the setup. Implementing 802.1x auth is also very simple and is doable in just five minutes.

I would advise that you be sure to compare apples with apples. Many customers just look at the price per AP and licences, and compare that against other solutions. But, they do not look at the complete picture such as:

• TCO - how much the equipment will cost you over, say, seven years?
  • Will the customer need to change complete infrastructure when they want to buy the newest hardware?
  • Does support include a lifetime warranty and RMA?

For example, if you compare Aruba vs Aerohive, you need to check which licences from Aruba you need to match the functionality of Aerohive (usually you need at least three types of licences and a controller with redundancy). The same goes with Cisco, where you need buy additional licences for central management, firewall, spectral analysis, WIPS, PPSK, etc. Aerohive has a very simple model - one licence for all the functionalities - and you can believe that there are many. One licence makes it easy to maintain, scale, renew and you can plan your costs 10 years in advance.

What other advice do I have?

Start small and grow big. You can choose the basic Aerohive Connect free subscription solution and, later, if needed (in terms of functionality) you can upgrade to Aerohive Select.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Distributor.
2 Comments
author avatarLaurent Beucher

We do have at Ruckus DPI and D-PSK for a while in AP as well as a unified management plateform. All set in a few click and no additonal licences

author avatarAlesGosek

Yes, i know. But when we evaluated your solution several years ago and choose Aerohive, there was no sound about controller-less approach and simplified approach that we looked for with Ruckus. Happy to see that you Ruckus has these functionalities now.