Agile Manager Review

We use the hierarchy Theme/Feature/Stories for a top-down approach.

Valuable Features

We use the hierarchy Theme/Feature/Stories for a top-down approach. The widgets/dashboards are essential to easily setup the reporting and by putting an image on the data, it helps people to understand the issues or to see the potential impacts of their actions.

Improvements to My Organization

The forecast was initially made since it was the only points we had. Obviously at the beginning of a project, all the stories were not created, therefore we were forced to make some extrapolations. By using the feature points, the projection in the future is much easier.

Room for Improvement

As a consequence of the above statements, we would like to have an estimate of the possible end date when all the features will be done given a velocity. This means that we need to have some graphs/widgets which can be used over several releases.

Use of Solution

We've used it for one year.

The deployment was very easy as soon as I had the documentation. At the beginning, you need to learn the vocabulary used by AGM and make the links with your own previous habits. Same names may have a different meaning in different tools or approaches. As soon as I understood them, I taught the other people in the company by highlighting what was similar with our previous tool to what was different and warn them on tricky shortcuts (another approach with different meaning or use from the one we were familiar with).

The product is very stable and we greatly appreciate that.

We were able to scale it, but my company has a bad habit. A project is open for a very long time and it piles up a lot of releases. I have to archive some, but I don't know what the result will be. If I don't do it, the response time will be degraded when the data becomes too important.

Commercially speaking, the customer service was a total nightmare at the very beginning. I hope that I will not have to face such an issue when we have to renew.

The technical support is good. Sometimes we need to exchange several times to be understood, but this is perfectly understandable. English is not our native language.

Yes, we used a smaller and less sophisticated tool. It became too small and not sophisticate enough! We especially needed to introduce a new level in the breakdown structure (the backlog was flat only composed of stories).

Implementation Team

We implemented it by our own and I think that it is a luck regarding the bad experience I had with the vendors.

ROI

I cannot precisely give an estimated but everything gets done smoothly. Easier to change, to try something to see the impact, to move from a team to another one, or from a release to another one.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes, we made a criteria matrix to eliminate some and ranked a few of them. Version One was the major competitor.

Other Advice

I would recommend to assimilate the concepts to choose the appropriate breakdown: which themes, which applications, etc. Depending on how you want to group your items, you may want to divide your project accordingly. For instance, if you allow a feature to be assigned to different applications, the total amount of FP is no longer possible.