AirMagnet Survey Review

I use it mostly for predictive surveys and for validations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that I use it mostly for doing predictive surveys and for validations, when I go back out and test whatever install has been done. Its capabilities to do measuring and with the use of the spectrum analyzer to be able to give me the spectrum analysis right away is very helpful.

How has it helped my organization?

We provide our customers with a report based on analysis, whether it's something after an install that we've done or going in and they need a report of where they stand now and possibly improving. We get with them and do an analysis and try to create a report from that.

What needs improvement?

The features I would like to see is better capability of importing floor plans into the design. With other software that I've used, I'm able to take a CAD drawing or even a PDF and just upload it right away without converting the file. I think it converts the file for me. Especially with a CAD drawing, if the measurements are already in there, it accepts them and, if you want it to, it can also go ahead and create walls and windows based on the drawing, how it was drawn and how it was designed. That would be a nice feature.

I haven't been able to decide whether it is stable. I've had issues every now and again, but I cannot 100 percent say it was the fault of the software or the fault of my laptop. There have been times where, in the middle of doing a survey, it will all of a sudden decide it doesn't see a certain type of card. I have to either reboot the program or reboot the whole laptop. That does the trick and then it starts working fine.

It is one of those solutions that I think my organization is going to use moving forward. It continues to grow with us.

I haven't needed to call in for support yet.

I used it before it was purchased by NetScout. The only one thing that did change is, when I am designing and I'm trying to create a report, I'll click on the screen of the heat map to try and do a copy of that screen so I can put it in my report. It throws a thumbtack on the screen and tries to take a measurement in that specific area. I've always got to disable that before I click on it. It's not a big deal, but it's something that I never had to do before NetScout. It was already disabled, whereas now it's fully enabled.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent software solution . I would recommend, if you're getting AirMagnet, to also get the Spectrum. Get the Pro and get Spectrum Analyzer with it, because I think that's very useful when it comes to troubleshooting. That's where you get the most valuable information from. As far as using the software, it's going to give you true results and be very accurate.

There's other software out there that does the thing that AirMagnet does, but that also has the ability to import CAD drawings, accept the measurements and so on, which I like.