AirMagnet Survey Review

It helps us see the wireless coverage plan, the signal strength, signal-to-noise ratio, and so on. I would like it to do more automatic planning.

What is most valuable?

We do site surveys, so we use the Spectrum Analyzer and we use the Site Survey PRO to get a good feel of the signal strength in the company.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives a good view of the signal strength. There are other tools in the market as well, but we work with this one. I'm not sure why we choose this one, but it helps us to give a good feel of the network, the wireless coverage plan, the signal strength, signal-to-noise ratio, and so on.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to be able to automatically calculate the best way to place the access points; more like hybrid manual planning. I'm not sure if the product has that already, but we are not using it, at least.

Other products in this area do more automatic planning. You just give it the wall measurements and the area, and then it plans how many access points you need and where to place them. So, instead of going to the site, you fill in, per wall, the value of the loss. The program will calculate automatically the best place for the access point.

Then, you can check that with the Site Survey, whether it's a good measurement or not.

I have been working for this company the last half year now, so I’ve worked with this tool at least a half a year.

We have not had stability issues. The tool works great. Most of the time, it does what we want.

We have not had scalability issues.

So far, we haven’t needed technical support for this product.

We did not switch. At my previous company, I used another tool. Our company did not switch. We are still using this tool on a daily basis.

Initial setup was not complex.

I cannot provide any advice about pricing and licensing, since I'm just an assistant manager. I'm not involved in licensing and pricing. We do the AirMagnet training internally. All new employees get a demo from the other co-workers.

This product was chosen before I started working here.

What other advice do I have?

If they want a good feel of the network, it has all the tools and information you need to know for problems with coverage and signal strength. It gives a great view of the network that you have in your wireless environment.