Akamai Kona Review
The most valuable features are caching, DDoS protection, and a web application firewall.

What is most valuable?

• Caching
  • DDoS protection
  • Web application firewall

How has it helped my organization?

It provides our customers with offload and protection for their environments.

What needs improvement?

They should allow for multiple security configurations in one account which will enhance the scalability.

For business partners/resellers, there are minor issues that you can encounter when switching between the customer environments.

I have used this solution for around two years.

This product is rock solid. We did not encounter any outages in the two years that I have been using it.

From a managed service perspective, improvements can be made when you have to deal with multiple customers/environments.

Single customer environment: You may need to compromise in some features. For example, when deploying very large environments, that have different technologies underneath. (Ten or more sites.)

Multiple teams: There is only one security configuration that can hold several WAF policies and it can be shared among all sites. Each site can have its own site configuration. It can configure different aspects, as compared to the security configuration.

I would give the technical support a rating of 7/10. It is not consistent and it depends on the level of expertise of the support staff member who is assigned to your case.

The setup depends on the skill level of the 'customer'. If you are familiar with the concept of a load balancer and are familiar with HTTP SSL/TLS and all of their respective implications, then it is straightforward and intuitive.

What other advice do I have?

First of all, in this day and age, DDoS protection is a must.

Akamai is a very reliable provider and a very safe bet that will suit most environments' needs.

This product is great, once it is fine-tuned. Be ready to spend some time to get all the noise filtered out each time you launch a new application on the platform.

Make sure you know how your applications behave. Have a solid grasp on HTTP(S)-related concepts and technologies.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are business partners/resellers/managed service offerings