Akamai Kona Site Defender Review

CDN and WAF features are an essential element with APIs a key element of the infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple use cases but the solution is primarily for content delivery network. The product has multiple features so we area also using it as a wall. It's really a combination between a CDN and a WAF. We also use Adidol switches. We are partners with Akamai and I'm a cloud solution architect.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution is very open because it's for public cloud and the interface is also very open. It's equal to having things like infrastructure as code to be defined, as well as having the ability to configure additional interfaces that we need for a service.

What is most valuable?

The CDN and the WAF features are the best in this solution.

What needs improvement?

I think there could be an improvement with the integration of more features for each security. Possibly inline IPS and more granularity for configuration.

I'd like to see incremental or integrated security features or maybe even for our transit anti-malware. It goes hand in hand with things like DLP.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution has been very reliable.

As a software it is very scalable. We don't have a problem with scaling the product or scaling the capabilities. This is more of an enterprise construct, so we provide it as a service which means there are not many users, everything is defined as code. For anything that requires a CDN, we'll use this construct and it will scale according to the enterprise.

The technical support is above average and good.

The initial setup was quite simple. It took between two to four weeks because it was quite a large deployment. Our strategy was to first implement a baseline and then to incrementally add any requirements for certain applications. We have a partnership with professional services from Aster Mind, as well as our own service integration services, to perform the setup. We had two staff members involved in deployment and they assist with maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

Programmability in the cloud is very important. So whatever we can program by APIs and define by API is very important in the infrastructure.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Other