What is our primary use case?
We use it for website protection.
How has it helped my organization?
In terms of mean time to detect, what we usually see is that it mitigates. It has also improved staff productivity be about 20 percent.
What is most valuable?
- It is scalable for DDoS.
- Keeps our sites up through any size of attack.
- It has a good breadth of controls.
- From a general security platform perspective, it's quite nice. It allows you to have rotating blacklists.
What needs improvement?
- I would like to see some non-related reputation categories. If they had some way of detecting activity on their platform, that would be helpful.
- Web request analytics is hard to do between them and us.
- There are some issues with pushing configurations across a network. It still takes about 20 minutes and that means to retract it's another 20 minutes.
- Also, some of their monitoring dashboards that show us what's hitting us, and with which we analyze, have room for improvement.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
It has been very stable. We've had no problems with it.
How are customer service and technical support?
Technical support has been wonderful for us.
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
Before Akamai we didn't have a solution. With Akamai, we get the speed we need.
What was our ROI?
I don't have discrete datapoints, but there is an advantage to having this kind of service where we don't have to track things ourselves.
What other advice do I have?
Keep your eyes open. There are a lot of solutions out there. You can even see products being deployed in the public cloud, which is nice for scaling up. Keep your eyes on the horizon. There's a lot to look forward to.
For Kona, we use several products, including their Site Acceleration Services. Our security maturity is very different from when we first started using Akamai.
Find out what your peers are saying about Akamai, Amazon, Imperva and others in Web Application Firewall (WAF). Updated: May 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.