Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches Review

Very good web and command-line interface and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our intra-site network. It's like a ring between our group sites.

We also use the solution for the access switches, to provide links to PCs and printers on the client-side.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a very good web interface. It makes it easy to manage everything.

The command-line interface is very powerful.

We can do most of what we need to do within the web interface. It allows us to view or to configure certain changes.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if the solution offered an integration interface, like OmniVista, to support and to manage everything. Right now, but we don't have that.

It would be ideal if we were able to review the status of the solution.

There needs to be better integration with the interface.

The solution needs to offer a better power overview and power options on the switches. That way, we can manage more of the power supply safely.

I've been using the solution for two years now.

The solution is very stable. We have not experienced any glitches or bugs. No problems have occurred that affected the stability of the product.

There are different types of switches. They have small and large sizes, and also switches for fiber optic connections. We're satisfied with the level of scalability the solution offers.

We have about 1,000 users on the solution. We work in shifts, however, so not all users would be on the solution all at once.

I've never been in touch with technical support, so I can't speak of any direct experience with them.

The company used to use Extreme switches, but it was before I came onto the team, so I don't know the reason behind why they switched.

We have a simple network, so the initial setup was straightforward. We didn't handle the deployment ourselves, however.

In a few weeks, we were switching from our old switches to the new ones. Deployment times really depend on the availability and working hours and that's all. In our case, it could have been done faster, but we had constraints.

We had someone handle the initial setup for us.

I don't believe the company evaluated other products before choosing their current solution.

What other advice do I have?

The current version of the solution we're using right now is 6500 for the OS.

I'd recommend the solution to other companies.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

More Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches reviews from users