Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch LAN Switches Review

Easy to configure and the security features are good

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and these are some of the networking switches that we implement for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of configuration. You have a single interface and do not have to switch modes, whether you are configuring the interface, VPN, or otherwise.

The Alcatel APs are very good, with a beautiful design, and they are easy to scale.

The security features are good.

What needs improvement?

There is no OEM support in India so RMAs need to be sent to France, which takes a long time if the hardware is faulty. Having regional support in India would be very helpful.

I have been working with these Alcatel-Lucent switches for the past three years.

We have had no issues in terms of stability.

Scalability for this product is very good.

There is no technical support available in India, which means that we need to call France. It is difficult because they have problems speaking with me in English. There are a large number of misunderstandings.

Their knowledge of the product is good so overall, I would rate their support as average.

I have worked with switches from different vendors, including Cisco. Similar solutions are more difficult to configure.

The initial setup is straightforward. These switches are very easy to configure, using the command line interface only. The deployment normally takes between ten and fifteen minutes, depending on how familiar somebody is with the commands and the process. It generally takes me about ten minutes.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and there are many benefits to using Alcatel-Lucent. It is definitely one that I recommend. If the support were better for us then it would be perfect.

Hybrid Cloud