Alcatel-Lucent OmniVista Review

Makes me more mobile so I can go off and do other things

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor and manage our wireless-base and to create reports. It has a little more effective reporting as far as timelines go because it goes back and controllers can't natively do that.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes me a little more mobile. Instead of having to sit there and monitor 1,300 access points with a window's glass, it's that moment I can control, I can provide, I can go off and do other things. And if something happens, I get a message. That way, it makes me a little more mobile.

What is most valuable?

I really like Visual RAF. I use that a lot and then I use the up and down status reports because it'll send me emails and text messages when access points go up or down. That way, I'm aware of what's going on.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a little better reporting, not reporting features, the report maker to be a little better.

I have been using this solution for over two years.

It's incredibly stable. I haven't had any problems with it.

It could scale up to however many access points you provided, as long as you keep in mind hardware limits.

I'm the network admin so I'm the main user of it. My boss, the director uses it for some reporting. And then the other network administrator uses it from time to time as needed.

We only need to do updates and maintenance every once in a while. It only needs one person to maintain it.

I've never had to use technical support because it's like the rest of Alcatel stuff, it's good.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was pretty easy with them.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you're organized when you set it up because I think it would be harder to recover from a lack of organization than anything on there.

Its interface is a little clunky as far as making the reports. A "what you see is what you get" editor type thing would be pretty good.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.