Alert Logic Review

An extremely reliable, easy-to scale, and user-friendly solution that provides detailed notifications and has good pricing and licensing

What is our primary use case?

In the most recent instance, I have used Alert Logic to monitor the architecture for an IT software company. I am an IT consultant by trade, and I was contracted to design and support the infrastructure for a SaaS company.

How has it helped my organization?

The lead database administrator felt that there was a need to have a particular port open for the application to communicate and gather data effectively. That particular DBA and I were not in agreement over the potential risk of this open port. With the use of Alert Logic, I was able to prove factually that having that port open was a great risk. Because of it, we eventually closed the port and changed the design of the app.

What is most valuable?

Notifications and the detail of notifications are most valuable. It is a user-friendly solution.

What needs improvement?

Its menu is not very intuitive. I would like to see the user menu expanded a bit. The user menu is very layered, and because of the layers, you have to go down a path that is not very intuitive.

It is extremely reliable. I have also used it in other environments and situations.

It is extremely easy to scale. I've expanded it in the latest use case and previous use cases.

Only two people are using it. One is the owner of the company to confirm the security of the environment. I monitor the environment and make certain that we're secure. This product is being used in 100% of the environment, so there are no plans to increase its usage because we can't.

I have called them up, and their team is very responsive and very thorough.

I have used other solutions. Alert Logic is very linear. It is very easy to follow the way it works. The other product was more complex and more confusing.

It was very straightforward. The installation took us maybe two hours.

We deployed it to all of our servers. We needed to build a virtual appliance, and that was actually the only pain point. The communication around that virtual appliance was not very clear, so I went down the wrong path only to discover that I had wasted some time, and it wasn't required.

I did it myself with the assistance of an Alert Logic representative.

It does require maintenance but not in the traditional sense. The actual upkeep of the product and the upkeep of the agents fall to Alert Logic, but from time to time, the agent will send out an alert of failure. These failures need to be investigated. Ten times out of ten, they were false failures. They raised an alert of a failure of the product, and the investigation proved that it hadn't failed at all.

The return on the investment was not exactly tangible. It was in the redesign of the application and the ultimate security of that application. It was an intangible return on investment in that it took away the debate between people's opinions and gave a fact. Based on this fact, we could then redesign the application.

Its pricing is very reasonable considering what you get for what you pay. There is quite a good value there.

Its licensing is also very logical. They've got the licensing price points at a reasonable level. It is on a monthly license but a yearly contract. There are no additional costs to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to go ahead with the product because it really is a very good tool that adds a lot of value. I would also recommend that the person implementing the product should have a very good working knowledge of IT infrastructure. I would say that IT infrastructure is more of a requirement than a background in IT security, and it certainly makes the process a lot more straightforward.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using Alert Logic is that for the amount of money invested in the product, the sense of security and the tightness that it gives to the environment is a real selling point for clients.

I would rate Alert Logic a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
More Alert Logic reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Alert Logic vs. Arctic Wolf AWN CyberSOC and other solutions. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.