Alert Logic Review

You can automate the process pretty easily, but they don't have a dedicated security team who will work on an attack

What is our primary use case?

It is used to track production and for IDS.

What is most valuable?

It has the ability to install agents. It is pretty straightforward. You can automate the process pretty easily.

What needs improvement?

They have ideas and email you whatever they find, but they don't have a dedicated security team who will work on an attack or a specific security instance.

As an MSP, it is better if we can hand off the security stuff over to a third-party or some other dedicated security people, and we can just focus on AWS-related products and improving our infrastructure.

It is just an EC2 instance, so it depends on what the EC2 instance is provisioned with.

It's agent-based, and you can also integrate it with your whole account. Scalability isn't much of an issue for Alert Logic.

The biggest client that we have who is using Alert Logic right now is about 800 to 900 employees.

Response rates are so-so. I would put them at about 70 percent good, and while 70 percent good is very good for a lot of companies. However, in such a scaling market, like cloud and AWS in general, this is hard to work with. We want to able to off-hand responsibilities to a third-party.

There are problems with the Threat Manager and networking stuff that have to be handled prior to setting things up, so it does take a little while to integrate. You need to have all your networking stuff come into this one specific AWS instance called Threat Manager that they have detailed instructions on how to set up. However, there is a lot of manual work that needs to be done ahead of time before you scale out and use it for other purposes.

The integration and configuration with Alert Logic in our AWS environment was straightforward.

Alert Logic has better competitive pricing than some of its competitors.

Almost any product that is on the AWS Marketplace is super easy to subscribe to.

We do use Trend Micro as well. We are an MSP, so there are different clients using different products, and Alert Logic is one of them.

What other advice do I have?

Know what the product does and how to integrate it with your stuff before actually jumping into it. Compare other products which are doing the same exact thing, see what your company can do and what your company needs, and what your requirements are, then make the decision after that.

We have been moving away from Alert Logic for awhile now.

We only use the AWS version.