AlienVault OSSIM Review

A good open-source solution for small setups, but needs more analytic functionality

What needs improvement?

The solution needs more integration with cyber intelligence systems.

Our customers want to use a single tool for managing cybersecurity. We want integration with existing tools and integration with newer tools that offer the ability to manage or to identify security vulnerabilities in a gateway system or firewall. Basically, we want the solution to offer configuration management.

I would want it to be integrated with lasting search, in terms that it could gather a lot of intelligence and dump it into the database. Also, it would be useful if we were able to run analytics on the solution. If they can integrate it with an analytic function it would be better.

I've been using the solution for four years.

I haven't had time to compare the stability to other solutions, but for our purposes it's okay.

You need to pay for technical support, but I didn't pay for it, so I can't say much about it. The solution has a very good open source community, and whenever we have problems, we are always able to resolve it online.

The initial setup was straightforward.

There wasn't any complexity. The only issue we had was when we installed it on a virtual layer. We found a way around it, however. It was the open-source virtualization that gave us trouble. There was a workaround and we applied it and it was okay.

The solution is open-source. You need to pay for support if you want it.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

We have a small setup. It's an environment that supports only about 20 users, so, it's not really a complex setup.

I would give the solution a rating of seven out of ten. I believe if I paid for the support I'd get a higher quality of software and other additional functionalities.