AlienVault OSSIM Review

Great solution for checking vulnerabilities, and it's free to use, but the initial setup is a bit tricky

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution just to check on devices. OSSIM does a lot of different things to help with this, including a bit of analytics, vulnerability testing, assessment, etc.

What is most valuable?

The open vault component and the checking of vulnerabilities are the most valuable features. The page management helps with this. If you know how your device is vulnerable, at least you can do something about it.

What needs improvement?

It's not easy to add a device that doesn't have a steady IP. Particularly when you're not putting a sensor on-site. When you have a sensor on-site, then that sensor speaks to the main sensor. We are trying to look for quality devices that give a dynamic IP, so it makes it practically impossible to add a new device.

If there was a way to do dynamic DNS, I think that would help.

I've been using the solution for almost one year.

The stability of the solution is fine.

Scalability can be a bit tricky, especially for network devices. We have about 150 devices on the solution right now that I am monitoring.

We didn't previously use another solution.

The initial setup was a bit complex. You've got to do a lot of reading. It's not an intuitive implementation. The deployment didn't take a long time, however.

I handled the implementation myself.

The solution is open-source, so it's free to use.

We did evaluate another solution.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model. I have a server that I subscribe people to.

I would advise others to consider, if they get more customers, to do the commercial version the OSSIM from AlienVault. It's now part of AT&T, so there's a lot of support.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.