AlienVault OSSIM Review

Data correlation and vulnerability assessment help protect our customers against malicious activity

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

Our clients use this SIEM solution to collect and analyze logs that are generated by different appliances or different machines. It is a correlation tool for event management that gathers all of the events in your environment. This includes different hardware and different operating systems. There are rules in AlienVault that might be triggered based on the logs, and you can tell when there is a security attack or something else that is malicious that comes to your network. These types of events raise a flag and send a notification.

Our clients include banks and other financial institutions.

There are two versions of AlienVault. One is a community edition and the other requires a license. We are dealing with the licensed version and a hybrid-cloud environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the data correlation and vulnerability assessment.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution is very high and it could be cheaper. Normally it is sold to financial institutions, which is why it is high.

I first implemented this solution in 2012, seven years ago.

This solution is very stable. It runs on a Linux box and you only interface with it through the GUI. It works behind the scenes. It has never crashed in the time that I have used it.

Scalability is very good. It integrates with a number of other products, such as the help desk.

Technical support for this solution is very good. They are now owned by AT&T Security, and their people do a pretty good job.

We implement this solution for our customers.

We have a team of twenty engineers. Some work on infrastructure, while others handle security products. I am the head of the security team.

There are two versions of AlienVault available. The Community Edition is free, and the other version requires a license. The licensing fees for the non-community edition are paid on an annual basis, and there are no costs in addition to this.

What other advice do I have?

There is a cloud version of this solution available, called AlienVault USM Anywhere, which defends data that is outside of the premises.

The OSSIM version is an open-source product, unlike AlienVault USM, or the cloud version, AlienVault USM Anywhere. You have to rely on the community for support. If you are a business or a bank or a financial institution then it would be better to go with the licensed version. You get support 24/7, while with the community you cannot find this support. On the other hand, an individual who is using it and can handle the issues should go with OSSIM because it's almost free. As long as you can handle problems, such as when it stops working, that you can fix over a couple of days or during the weekend, then it is fine.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.