AlienVault OSSIM Review

Integration with OTX enables us to see which IPs are malicious

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is local action, vulnerability scanning, and usage of Network IDS. We use some process and correlation rules for our business our customers' businesses.

How has it helped my organization?

When we forward in-traffic from our one interface to Network IDS in OSSIM, we can see all of the requests that we have to and from that interface. Because of integration with Open Threat Exchange from AlienVault, we see which IPs from these requests are malicious and we can use these IPs to block them on our firewall.

What needs improvement?

We need more dashboards and we need more customization for dashboards. It would be great if they would improve in this area.

The stability of OSSIM is not bad. Because it is an open-source version of a commercial product, it has some restrictions on the size of infrastructure that you can integrate with it. But if you don't go beyond these restrictions, it has great stability.

The server is the "brain" of the system, and there are the sensors. They are like collectors of information for the server. It depends on the size of the business and on geographical issues connected to the business. You can install sensors in all of your branch offices and the server in your main office and it works well in this type of deployment.

Great guys. They work fast and they have great experience with their solutions and give great support.

OSSIM was the first solution that I used in this area.

I started to work with its commercial brother, AlienVault USM. When I started to use that, I received some question from my customers about comparing USM and OSSIM. So at the time, I started to use OSSIM, to learn it and compare it with USM. I needed to answer the question, "Why do we need to pay AlienVault money to use their commercial product when they have open-source?" I needed to know the differences.

The initial setup is really straightforward. It's like a Windows program: "Next, next, next, and finish." I don't remember if it was in the open-source versions or the commercial, but it may be that in OSSIM you also have results that can help you with the initial configuration. But overall, the initial setup and configuration are really easy.

In terms of how long the setup took, it's a more complex question. We need to integrate modules such as Network IDS, we need to install agents, we need to perform the initial configuration of OSSIM. For example, we need to configure the SPAN port and send traffic from some of our network devices to AlienVault OSSIM. It can take one hour or one day. It depends on the environment and the size of infrastructure and the size of the business. You may have one firewall or 100 firewalls. It doesn't take a lot of time, but depending on the size of the business, it may take from one hour to a day or two.

When it comes to maintenance of the solution, it also depends on the size of the business. In some companies, where there are 100 users and a small room with servers, you need only one administrator for this system, for maintenance and deployment and everything. But when there is a big company with a big number of employees, 1,000-plus, we may need some more people for deployment and for maintenance.

I've done the setup by myself. In some types of deployments, when I have questions, I also include guys from the AlienVault team, but I haven't had to use them many times.

OSSIM is free.

I didn't look at other options. OSSIM is the only solution that includes the large number of modules that we need: a vulnerability scanner, a network IDS system, a host IDS system. The solution also provides us with a correlation engine for our logs. This is the best option on the market and I didn't see any similar solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I used this product for about a year. It was on-premise.

My advice is to just read the manual. OSSIM is very simple. If you know why you need to use it, you will be happy.

The biggest lesson is that the logs are "power." In these logs, with a good normalization engine, you can find so much very useful information about your infrastructure, sometimes about your employees, and about your business-critical processes.

I would rate the solution at ten out of ten. It's really the best open-source CM on the market. It's simple, it has OTX integration. OTX, the Open Threat Exchange, is also a great product from AlienVault. It's like Facebook for indicators of compromises.