Altaro VM Backup Review

What is most valuable?

• The ability to backup live VMs
  • Offsite backup replication to a removable drive or physical offsite location
  • Granular restore ability, including Exchange Server item level restore

How has it helped my organization?

There is now no need for users to log out of servers while the backup is performed, aiding productivity.

What needs improvement?

The software does have occasional problems with shadow copy but restarting the services rectifies this. Also, if it happens overnight, the software keeps attempting the backup until successful.

I've used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

No, although this is mainly because the software is installed on a Hyper-Visor with very little other software to conflict or take up resources.as these are all on the virtual machines.

No issues, although we haven’t used the software to its full capacity.

Customer service is excellent, and provides polite and prompt replies to emails.

Technical support is also very good. There is a support tool within the software that saves an error report as a zip file which can then be emailed to support at Altaro. The longest I have had to wait for a reply is 24 hours, but that was for a non-standard error.

No previous solution was used, except the standard backup solutions onto a physical servers. This is the first solution we have used for virtual machines.

The initial setup was very straightforward, as the software installs easily, is very easy to configure and has a nice GUI. You just plug in your backup devices, install the software and follow the install wizard which guides you through the backup process from start to finish.

Through an in-house team.

We support our clients servers so I don’t feel I can answer this question.

The software is approximately £200 however, you also need the correct hardware in place (e.g. RDX drive for offsite backup).

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend Altaro.

1 visitor found this review helpful