Altaro VM Backup Review

It has exchange item level restore but I'd like them to add backward compatibility with earlier versions.

Valuable Features

• Hyper-V VM & Hyper-V host or node backup and retention schedules
  • Exchange item level restore
  • In the new version, you do not have to install the backup software itself onto a Hyper-V host

Room for Improvement

• Backward compatibility with earlier versions
  • Auto-update features
  • Hyper-V 2008 core OS should be supported to run the management console on it, this was a need by one of our customers
  • The amount of jobs performed at the same time should be increased

Use of Solution

I've used it for between six and 12 months.

I did not manage to import my old configuration, in v4, into v5 just after it what was released, however, I believe this functionality has been improved.

Version 5 is much more stable. Because the management console itself is running on a Windows machine, you may encounter some time-out, or lag, because of a delay in the Microsoft component relating what is on your hardware environment. However, this could happen with all of your Windows based applications if you do not have enough supplements supporting it.

I have not had any scalability issues yet.

10/10.

10/10.

I did, but we did not totally switch. We are still using other products because of our different VMware environments.

It is really straightforward, and the software has a great step by step manual.

Implementation Team

I implemented two environments on my own with the help of the web based manual.

Other Solutions Considered

We did. My company used Veeam, PHD Virtual and Unitrends software solution before. We looked for a cheaper Hyper-V backup solution, and Altaro is the best choice for this purpose.

Other Advice

If you only have a Hyper-V environment with several nodes, you should dedicate one server for hosting the backup solution (depending on the number of the virtual machines hosted on each node). Or you can install several Altaro Hyper-V Backup instances and connect them to one management software. I am sure that guys at Altaro will help you out with the deployment scenario.

1 visitor found this review helpful