Altaro VM Backup Review
​The setup is very easy but it would be good if they would expand to allow non-Hyper-V servers to be backed up.

Valuable Features

The great features are

• The possibility to backup Linux machines online
  • Off-site backup
  • Fire drills
  • File level restore

Improvements to My Organization

It provides us with a better backup and restore solution for our Hyper-V environment.

Room for Improvement

It would be good to if they would expand the functionality to be able to backup normal servers without Hyper-V.

Use of Solution

I've used it for around two years.

No issues encountered.

In the beginning there were issues, but that was related to the storage network.

No issues encountered.

It's great, the support is good and very fast in providing responses to queries.

it's excellent.

We previously used Data Protection Manager (DPM), but it lacked the ability to backup Linux VM's without going into saved state so we switched.

The setup is very easy.

Implementation Team

I did it myself in-house.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The original setup took me around a day during normal production hours, so no extra costs in terms of overtime etc. Day-to-day costs are really low as there is not much work needed as long as it runs. You just have to review the daily report and add a VM if needed.

Other Solutions Considered

We previously used DPM then went straight onto Altaro.

Other Advice

Give it a try as it's very easy to setup and works like charm. Also, the pricing model is very good.