Altaro VM Backup Review

I could create VM backups from live machines without issues.

What is most valuable?

Simplicity and reliability. I had some difficulties activating the product but after the activation phase all went smooth.

How has it helped my organization?

I could create VM backups from live machines without any issues. The restore process also was very quick.

What needs improvement?

I have tested version 5 only. However I would like to see the addition of a VM converter from another solution (VMware) and a P2V capability.

I used it for two to three months.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no performance issues.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Excellent customer support. I only needed assistance during the activation process.

I have only used the traditional Windows Server Backup tool and the Hyper-V export procedure.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It was implemented through an in-house team.

8 Comments
Orlee GillisConsultant

As your needs evolve over time, do you expect the solution's scalability to remain aligned accordingly?

31 October 16
Vasileios PetrasReal UserTOP 20

That is true, i expect that this solution's scalability should remain alligned accordingly. Of course for this to happen there must be a good support team behind the solution. From my experience communicating with this team i believe that even if some problems occur, in the end these will be resolved.
There is no product that is perfect, only a support team is.

31 October 16
Orlee GillisConsultant

Are there specific experiences you've had with this support team that are notably different than other teams you've dealt with?

01 November 16
Vasileios PetrasReal UserTOP 20

Yes, I have met in the past support teams that had reduced support to customer, but this is irrelevant for this topic here.
Concerning the case of this solution i have been greatly satisfied.

02 November 16
Orlee GillisConsultant

Great to know. Do you have any other advice for current users of Altaro or of users that are considering it?

02 November 16
Vasileios PetrasReal UserTOP 20

Right now no. I have not used any other product from Altaro yet.

04 November 16
Orlee GillisConsultant

What would you say is the most unique benefit you've had from the solution?

06 November 16
Miguel AraújoReal UserTOP 20

Not sure there is a unique benefit to point out. The overall experience and good support on the supplier side makes it a good option to use. Even the best products could fail it has not a good support (the reverse is a also true). That said I do like the option to have a connected remove server act as a backup storage (more common today with the availability of cloud solutions)

04 September 17