Altaro VM Backup Review

Automated live Hyper-V backups of full VMs and accelerated our physical to virtual conversion,

What is most valuable?

• Automated live Hyper-V backups of full VMs.
  • Excellent compression and deduplication with off-site WAN backup included.
  • Retention policies and reporting included.
  • Granular file-level restore and Exchange restore.
  • Automated validation of backed up VMs.
  • Central management possible.

How has it helped my organization?

Accelerated our physical to virtual conversion. It gave us the reliability the business demanded, without investing in expensive software and upgrading the network/storage back end. Allowed application isolation that drastically improved RTOs and RPOs. And enabled our IT staff to easily manage all our virtual backups and restoration with little to no training.

What needs improvement?

Moving VMs between non-clustered hosts which both have Altaro backup running will not update their inventories automatically, at least in the latest version I used.

Backup speed and comparisons between versions used to be slow on big VMs but that was improved greatly later on.

Four years.

None.

In earlier versions (v3/4) the UI made it somewhat difficult to get the right overview at times.

Fantastic support crew, always ready to give sound advice on setups. They actually listen to complaints/feature requests, and implements them. Great blogs as well with lots of technical information.

At that time, automated backups for Hyper-V were not in great supply. Veeam was too bloated and required a lot of work to test and deploy.

Easy to deploy, very smooth setup, no overhead caused by common integration hurdles. Great choices of backup destinations. Up and running in 10 to 15 minutes.

No other product offers these features for this price. The ROI is great.

As noted above, at that time, automated backups for Hyper-V were not in great supply. Veeam was too bloated and required a lot of work to test and deploy.

What other advice do I have?

Try it! You will not be disappointed.