Altaro VM Backup Review

What is our primary use case?

We implemented virtualization to minimize the physical infrastructure which leads to higher CAPEX and OPEX. When we moved to a virtual environment, we had issues with our existing backup software from a popular brand and required additional investment, which was much higher. We have used Altaro Backup to use Hyper-V instances as backup and replicate them to offsite and DR locations periodically through the IP VPN/MPLS connectivity.

How has it helped my organization?

Altaro offers two VMs at no cost. This has helped us to eliminate the implementation of expensive backup solutions at remote offices, which had two instances. The free version is in no way inferior to the paid version and had all the features of expensive backup solutions, including secure encryption. From installation to backup and recovery, it is very simple with a user-friendly user interface (UI).

What is most valuable?

Key features:

• Easy to install and use
  • Built for virtual environments
  • Multi-hypervisor support (Hyper-V and VMware)
  • Offsite backups boosted by WAN acceleration
  • File and Exchange item level restore
  • Backup live VMs with no downtime
  • MS VSS Integration
  • Cluster shared volumes aware scheduling
  • Restore to different Hyper-V host or clones
  • Central management console
  • Compression and encryption
  • Supports WS2008 R2, WS2012 and WS2012 R2
  • Supports ESXi, vSphere, and vCenter

Reverse Delta is Altaro proprietary backup deduplication technology. With Reverse Delta, the latest version of a file is always made available in its entirety, not as a delta file. This means that if you require the latest version of a file, it is possible to access it directly from your backup drive without having to rebuild the file from delta files. The delta files are only used if you want to build a previous version of the file; building one delta file at a time for each version as you travel back in time in the reverse direction.

This works for both Hyper-V and VMware.

What needs improvement?

Availability of physical server backup would be an added advantage.

Migrating the physical through a backup and restore to a virtual environment would also be very helpful.

More than five years.

Support is good.

The previous backup solution was licensed for physical environment and upgrading to virtual required an additional higher investment.

The initial setup was simple and easy. Anyone without prior experience can install, configure, and use it.

We implemented with an in-house resource

By implementing the solution at multiple locations, significant cost savings were achieved and it also addressed compliance requirements.

Altaro VM Backup is affordably priced. It is a best value for its price and has almost every feature that an expensive, popular product offers.

We evaluated Symantec, Veritas, and Veeam.

Before finalizing with any other solution, it is better to evaluate the trial version of Altaro, see the results, and proceed (as the TCO is lower and ROI is much higher).

;list=PLWZ2FNFsZjxUq0nmk0L881c3N7MoSnyUF

What other advice do I have?

Altaro VM Backup is a hassle-free virtual machine backup software solution for Hyper-V and VMware. The intuitive interface allows you to set up and perform backups and restores easily.

Schedule Now
Back up unlimited VMs for 30 days. After 30 days, you can use Altaro VM Backup on 2 VMs for free
1 Comment
Angelica Micallef TrigonaVendor

Many thanks for your comprehensive review of Altaro VM Backup. We appreciate it. I wanted to let you know that we will soon be offering physical server backup.

27 February 19