Altaro VM Backup Review

Enables you to control replication, live migration, and incremental disaster recovery but the replication time between virtual machines is slow

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is for managing backup tasks such as replication, migration and disaster recovery.

What is most valuable?

In Hyper-V, I think there are many valuable features. Replication between the different hosts, high availability, live migration — where I can migrate between one host to another — as well as incremental disaster recovery, are very good. These solutions are based on Hyper-V in two distinct geographic sites. But my interest in this feature is that I implement it in the VMware infrastructure because the rest of my infrastructure is based on the VMware.

What needs improvement?

I implement the solution based on VMware and Hyper-V. I think some of the features that either of these companies are providing should be better. As an example, the replication time between virtual machines is slow. It really depends on network latency. In addition to this, I think the GUI to manage the view of the control panel of the virtual machine is not very user-friendly. It could be improved as well.

It would be very helpful if local technical support could be improved. Because of sanctions we do not have direct access to Microsoft support services. There should be another way to offer support services either within the country or other means.

One last thing that would be helpful is to focus on the migration of the on-premises services to the cloud — something such as Azure, AWS. For this, it would be necessary for the manufacturer to provide a different user interface to be compatible with Amazon or Azure services.

I have experience with this product for more than six years.

Unfortunately, due to the sanctions in my country (Iran), I can't access the Microsoft support team. By doing this type of work, experts here have to learn the products intimately. Our organization provides solutions for state or public organizations and we also provide support for them. As an example, I'm engaged in supporting and maintaining services for customer's bank services infrastructure as a level three expert. If I have any problems, I try to connect to different forums and knowledge bases because of sanctions. We can't access the technical support from Microsoft organization. Technical support for my country should be improved.

I have used both VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V. They are very similar to each other and there is almost no difference when you use them often. When I am working for different clients or at different jobs I will use the tools that are there.

In our country, because of sanctions, we can not access the public cloud provider. Therefore, and to keep within regulations, we have to provide backup solutions on-premises. We implement VM Backup and HP Data Protector backup in the bank data center. Because of this, I only have experience with VM Backup solution on-premises.

There is no problem in implementing and maintaining VMware or the Hyper-V infrastructure. I have experience with both and because of this experience, I think it is not very difficult for me to do the deployments and setup. It may not be so easy for everyone because it is very important to have a good understanding of the implementation options.

We did not need to consult with an integrator or technical support for the implementation because it was very easy to do.

Many countries that are faced with sanctions, the price of products is a very big problem because most of the companies don't have big budgets. They end up having to use different solutions than they would prefer. With our customers such as banks and financial institutions, there are usually no budget problems and they provide us enough finances to buy proper licensing.

VMware is more than Hyper-V. Hyper-V is a good price in comparison with VMware or other virtualization solutions.

I have evaluated many solutions but I am really working with solutions that work for my clients and make sense for a particular application.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten when one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Hyper-V as a seven. It is not the best but it is good.