Altaro VM Backup Review

User-friendly GUI, reliable, and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use Altaro as a VM backup solution for our clients. We utilize this for about five clients so far and have had no issues to date.

Each client has about two VMs each and our implementation works great on all Windows systems. We have a couple of each server including Windows 2008, Windows 2012, Windows 2016, and Windows 2019.

Altaro seems to have no issue backing up these OS versions and we have had no complaints from clients as to missing data or failures after backups have been completed. Altaro is always our go-to VM backup software.

How has it helped my organization?

The Altaro software helps us develop backups successfully and quickly. The interface is user-friendly and even if our tech isn't onsite, we can work with the owners to confirm that the data will be restored with no issues.

We have had many issues in the past with software not being user-friendly or having a bad restore causing us to restart from scratch. Altaro prevents the monthly maintenance of having to check backups to confirm they are not faulty. The worst feeling is plugging in a restore and having no backup to restore because its corrupted. Here, with Altaro, we don't have that issue.

What is most valuable?

The GUI interface is desirable we can't function without it. We love it and our clients love it. We don't get stuck in trying to navigate through a bunch of diagnostic pages, home pages, and stored data. What you need is just a couple of clicks away.

Altaro makes everything much easier to perform on time-sensitive client sites. Clients seem to like the idea of having a backup of their VM without taking a day to back up all of their data.

What needs improvement?

The application could include a feature to install a set size of data, such as the ability to store a single application with all its registry information for easy transfer. There are a couple of tools out there already that utilize this but having it all in one tool would make day-to-day IT work much faster and easier on techs.

The software already does what is expected but having a couple of new tools wouldn't hurt the value of the software. There is not much to improve and my clients seem to like the fact that I am able to provide VM maintenance service quickly and efficiently.

We have been using Altaro VM Backup for more than four years.

If you run into trouble, the support is always there to help. We hardly need support but when we do, it's great to know that we aren't placed on hold for long periods of time.

We had some free software that we used four years ago but they all seem to have their own flaws.

The price is great for the utility you get and the licensing has never caused any issues with my company.

This was four years ago and I can't recall the name but they were never as great as Altaro. I won't look back at what I have chosen as a VM backup software.

What other advice do I have?

The software is great and does what I need for an application. I have no complaints and as long as the backups never become corrupt from the software, I will continue using Altaro.

More Altaro VM Backup reviews from users