Alteryx Review

Complicated to use for advanced tasks, although good for simple data mining and data extraction

What is our primary use case?

Alteryx is one of our primary tools in our company and we use it mainly for future analytics. We are primarily trying to determine what the past has looked like and then apply predictive analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

I think that our success with this product is mixed. It has probably gotten some people started easily or fairly easily on extracting data. But I also think that to some extent, it puts a limitation on us, because I don't think that we really realized the training that you need in order to be really strong in the product.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that you can easily blend data from different platforms. That is one nice feature.

Additional comment: You can connect multiple input tools to different platforms and use joins/union to either concatenate or blend data in a seamless fashion.

What needs improvement?

Alteryx brands itself as a tool that you can use to avoid having to code. In reality, however, as soon as you start with your task, it gets just a little complex. Alteryx is just as complicated as coding, in my opinion. It is great for relatively simple data mining and data extraction type tasks, and I sure that it can do very advanced things, in particular when you look at the tool installation. That said, as soon as it becomes advanced, it is not very easy to use. In fact, it's quite complicated, so when persons with a coding background attempt to use it, they fall back on trying to code something, instead.

The biggest complaint that I have is that the online help is not very comprehensive. It is very formal, but there are not a lot of examples and use cases, and there are many signs there are difficult to understand. I think that it's a challenge.

In the future, I would like to see improvements made to the machine learning capabilities such that they are comparable with Python.

I have been using Alteryx for three years.

My impression is that it's quite stable. You can easily make small mistakes that have an impact. For example, we use Alteryx gallery and sometimes it seems what when you have a relative path versus an absolute one, it is tricky to keep track of.

I have never spoken with technical support.

This is my first job in analytics where I have used a dedicated tool. Prior to that, I did some work that involved coding.

What other advice do I have?

Although I use this product regularly, I used to code for many years and I am not a big fan of tools like Alteryx. I don't think that it's a good product, and the reason is that when the use cases get more complex, the models get exponentially larger and more complex to put together.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is not to underestimate the need for training, in particular, when your use cases get a little more complex.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

19.3
More Alteryx reviews from users
...who work at a Manufacturing Company
...who compared it with KNIME
Learn what your peers think about Alteryx. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.