Alteryx Review

I can pipe external data onto a server in a temporary table. This frees my machine up while the server does all the heavy lifting.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features to me is its ability to take millions of rows of data, blend them with more millions of rows of data, then output the data set to a Tableau Data Extract (*.tde), which I would then use to build a dashboard in Tableau.

Another of its most valuable features gives me the ability to pipe external data onto a server in a temporary table. This frees my 16GB machine up while the server does all the heavy lifting. Blending data this way is faster, as a simple blend of a couple of million rows can take a minute or two. Also, because Alteryx can output to a *.tde, we are able to use it hand-in-hand with Tableau Server to develop data access solutions for our users.

How has it helped my organization?

Non-computer-savvy business users used to require periodic and ad-hoc reports to spot trends or so they could work with our customers on spend allocation. Some of these reports took days or weeks to compile. Alteryx allowed us to access all the data, blend it, and output it as a dashboard for the user to access any time they needed it. It took the strain off the reporting team and it gave the user a simple interface from which to work.

What needs improvement?

The company is constantly pushing updates and making the product more user friendly and faster. Although I have about seven months’ experience using it, I don’t feel like I’ve even scratched the surface on its capabilities. I haven’t used its spatial, data investigation, predictive/predictive grouping, market basket analysis, time series, demographic analysis, behavior analysis, or macro-building features.

If there's one thing that I would like improved, it's the in-database tools to function the same way as outside-database tools. For instance, if there is data that is being blended outside database with a join, there are nodes that you can select so you can see the data that didn't get joined. As you can see with the purple join

I started using Alteryx in the beginning of January, 2016.

I did not you encounter any stability issues.

I did not you encounter any scalability issues.

I haven’t had to use technical support, as far as actually speaking to people, but I have used Alteryx Community to find solutions to some of the challenges I faced. Alteryx Community has a great selection of training videos and documentation, and its users are posting more and more, which offers other users solutions without having to reach out to Alteryx representatives.

I did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. Another user in my department decided he wasn’t going to use Alteryx, so he transferred the license key to me. I downloaded the program and started using it.

It’s quite pricey for an Alteryx Designer license (~$5200 for a one-year subscription), but once you use the product, you won’t want to go back to whatever you were using before.

I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Before you download the 14-day trial, compile a list of processes that you want to improve. Once you start improving processes, you won’t want the trial to run out.

More Alteryx reviews from users