Alteryx Review

Its drag and drop workflow creation capability is like drawing a flow chart.

What is most valuable?

The drag-and-drop capability to create a workflow works like drawing a flow chart. Each icon represents an action. You drag the action on the canvas and connect it to the data source, make configurations on the action, then run the workflow. When data goes through the process, the action will execute and you get what you want afterwards. The actions are intuitive and you can design you own way to do the same thing.

How has it helped my organization?

Alteryx automated some manual standard processes and the workflow is easy to maintain. Staff do not need to wait for IT to prepare data once a data warehouse is set up. The output can be shared within the company which other teams can make use of to reduce rework. Advanced analytics such customer response prediction, time series demand forecast can be done without a PhD.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the field tracks along the workflow show the route of selected field. That would be easier to do checking or modification when designing a complex workflow.

Also, data profiling would be helpful if audit/compliance requires the info of data transformation. That would be easier to trace the data along the whole process.

I have used it for one year.

I did not encounter any stability issues, at all. This tool is designed for big-data analysis, so basically there are no input/output issues. It can process more than 10 million records in 10 minutes on a normal laptop.

I did not encounter any scalability issues, at all. As long as the server is set up, it can share the workload by the load balancer. It depends on how complex the problems you want to solve are or how many people you want to access them simultaneously.

Technical support is 8/10:

• Active community
  • Quick response from client service
  • International partners to help in person, on site

We previously used Informatica. The position of Alteryx is not only ETL, and we need to do more than just ETL, so we switched.

Initial setup was very straightforward. You can also download a comprehensive guide from the official website.

It is not cheap. So I would suggest you start with a trial and then evaluate how many licenses you need for your analysts. Basically, I do believe each analyst – regardless of whether they are in the sales operation, data analytics, or planning – requires one license. When they acquire the skills of how to use it, the ROI will be much larger than you can imagine.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this product.

What other advice do I have?

It would be great to find a local partner to do some training and use the consultation service at the beginning. It would help you and your staff to learn fast.

It is a very user-friendly product that doesn’t require a strong technical background; you can build something within an hour. It encourages self-service, has good capacity and supports a variety of data sources.

More Alteryx reviews from users