Alteryx Review

Provides spatial tools for geographic analysis and data enrichment

What is most valuable?

• One-stop shop for data preparation, blending, prediction, and optimization in a single workflow.
  • In-database analytics native to SQL Server, Oracle, Teradata, and SAP HANA
  • Spatial tools for geographic analysis and data enrichment

How has it helped my organization?

We provided the whole consulting delivery on a single tool with reporting and automated PowerPoint presentations.

What needs improvement?

• GPU or multi-core CPU utilization
  • WYSIWYG reporting with interactive filters and graphics
  • Mobile integration: Triggers analytic apps through mobile phone and gets results interactively.
  • More statistics tools: We can use to compare SPSS statistics with some automated advisory.

We have been using this solution since 2014.

There were no deployment issues, and it went pretty fast. You sometimes need a license file if you are behind a firewall.

When the workflows are huge and complex, it may take some time to refresh it.

There were no issues with scalability.

Customer service is pretty responsive, based on the UK and US time zones.

Technical support is pretty responsive and knowledgeable. The community support is exceptional, too. It is a very crowded community with lots of practical solutions.

• SPSS modeler: Not easy to prep features. It needs data enrichment using spatial features. Deployment is not straightforward.
  • SAS Analytics, EG, EM, DataFlux forecasting: Very expensive solutions with steep learning curves

The setup was simple. It was pretty much "next, next, and next".

We did the implementation in-house.

With a $5K USD designer tool, we already did some big data. There were lots of fruitful projects. I would estimate a six of seven times ROI in a few months.

A designer and scheduler for $13K/year in total is pretty much earning you the money back in time and in other resources.

The server is a big bet and you need at least 10-15 people with designers or 60-70 people for the continuous use of analytic apps. Otherwise, it's too early to scale up and out.

• KNIME: A modeling tool not easy to learn, track/audit, or deploy quickly.
  • RapidMiner: Good analytics capabilities, deep learning. However, not good for ETL, data quality, or spatial enrichment.
  • SAS: Extremely expensive, archaic, and no need to take the risk.
  • SPSS modeler: Second best for modeling, but not enough spatial. It is hard to deploy and has a lack of vision.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has a very bold vision.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Started using the tool for consulting purposes in 2014. During my tenure at Experian, I founded the Istanbul Alteryx users group in 2015 to share knowledge. We have 290 subscribers as of today. I started my own consulting business and became a referral partner in late 2015. I sold the first Alteryx license in MENA. In 2016 we started a reselling agreement with Alteryx. I'm now a beta tester and volunteer at Alteryx for Good Co-lab helping NGOs and NFPs with Analytics propositions.
1 visitor found this review helpful