Alteryx Review

Does a good job of end-to-end integration as well as accessing data from multiple sources or email modes

What is our primary use case?

I am using the product for making machine learning models for particular uses that we have to focus on analytics.

What is most valuable?

I didn't like the data analysis features at first, but they were actually quite good. The built-in machine-learning models that they have are quite extensive and useful. There are a few models that are normally not found in any other drag-and-drop interface platforms. For example, when I was using and testing other tools, I could not find vector autoregression models. I also could not find the rather complicated tentative models and other model types that I find very useful. Those are built-in to Alteryx as cubes. On top of that, the capability of writing Python commands and creating our own tools and our own models for machine learning make the solution customizable and quite interesting.

What needs improvement?

There are a few ways the solution could be made better. The graphical user interface could be made more friendly. I mean from the GUI point of view, it is a little dated. But from a functionality point of view, I think even for people who do not know the coding part and who are more business users than programmers, they would not have a very hard time using  Alteryx for creating machine learning models. It is quite good and quite useful already without improvement to the GUI. It could just stand to be more modern-looking.

I would like if they could make some type of free license for the product. Not a free full license but a limited edition or limited capability free version. The limited-time version is a little restrictive. A free, open-term desktop version like Power BI and Tableau and KNIME might help users more with discovery and utility.

I've used this solution for about five or six months.

We were using Alteryx from a development point of view. We did not use it to test it to its breakage point. So it handled our demands and was quite stable.

The response time was quite good. Even running on a laptop, it was like using it on my desktop. The response is consistent, fast and stable.

From my experience and from my point of view, the solution is quite scalable. We did not use it for the production system yet, but from my experience of using it on a laptop more recently, it runs with a few hundred thousand rows and columns without a problem.

The other good side of the scalability is the number of connectors available for data sources. They have more than 200 connectors, which allows access to well more sources than anything I have needed.

I did not contact the technical support at Alteryx directly. When we initially got the license, they had us talk to the local support here in Singapore. We went to them for a small issue to see what exactly the product can do and then we did not need any support from their support at all. We are quite adept with this solution and modeling. We called up the Alteryx local support to show us how to do that one thing but it was very easy. Once we saw it, we did not have additional reasons to contact them again.

Before Alteryx we tried of KNIME. The learning curve for KNIME is steeper than Alteryx. Alteryx is much more user-friendly than KNIME, at least from our experience on both products. Also, KNIME functionality is limited for the free version so it was harder to explore the full capabilities. When we tried the free license for Alteryx, we got the full use of the client license for 14 days and then we were able to get an extension to explore our testing of it for some time. But we did use KNIME before that for long enough to be familiar with the differences. My impression of Alteryx is that it is more user-friendly than KNIME and the built-in modeling in Alteryx is much better than KNIME.

The initial setup was very straightforward. I was able to install it and get it running up and running quickly and the process was very simple.

When I started doing a machine-learning model in a project writing my own code, it took me in-all about three or four days to complete it. For my initial experimentation, I decided to replicate that model in Alteryx. As someone who understood models but did not know the program at all, it took me two hours or less than that to complete the test. Once you learn how to drag-and-drop things in the interface, it is very easy to start on development as long as you know what you want to do.

We did not use any help as far as an integrator, reseller or consultant. We did the deployment ourselves.

Our approximate cost as we understand from the company is that the total is $5,000 per user per year for the desktop production license. So, for us and the ten licenses we need, that means the production license would be around $50,000 per year. That might not be the exact number, but I think it is close enough to be correct. With that, there are not any additional costs. Probably you can pay for support and for training if you want something like a dedicated workshop. That might cost more as an add-on but there is no additional cost for using the tool itself.

What other advice do I have?

I have a really good impression of Alteryx at this point in time. So I would suggest to people who are considering this type of solution to go ahead and try it. If you are looking for a self-service data analytics tool, Alteryx is a good solution. It does a good job of end-to-end integration as well as accessing data from multiple sources or email modes. Then you can push data out to Tableau and Power BI or tools like that if you need other capabilities. So, 'go ahead and try it' would be my recommendation.

On a scale from one to ten where ten is the best and one it the worst, I would rate Alteryx as easily a solid eight. From my use case and considering the point that I'm not seeing and using everything, I can't give it more or less. But from our use case and what we have in our company, it is pretty good for several purposes.

More Alteryx reviews from users