Amazon API Gateway Review

A fully-managed and easy-to-use solution for our mobile app development projects

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for mobile app development. It is the API gateway for my backend.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of managing the gateway.

This solution is useful for making new APIs. We deploy with CloudFormation, so it's pretty easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The way they manage the headers could be improved and made easier.

There are some certificates that they will not let us use.

I would like to see the web console improved.

There should be more videos and documentation about the new features that are released every month.

I have been using this solution for two years.

This solution is very stable.

It is a scalable solution. We have ten users in my team who service approximately five thousand people through our apps, and we are increasing the usage every day.

We have a solution architect from AWS and he is working with us. The support from Amazon is great. On a scale of one to five, I would rate technical support a five.

We did not use another cloud solution prior to this one. However, we did use an on-premises API gateway from CA Technologies. It is a very capable solution, but it is more expensive and we also had to maintain it ourselves. It is not a managed service like the API gateway from AWS.

The initial setup of this solution is very easy. It only takes a few minutes.

This solution is a managed service, so we don't need to be concerned with maintenance. AWS does the management and scaling for us. It's serverless.

I took care of the deployment myself.

We have seen ROI. It's pay-per-use, so you won't lose any money.

This is a pay-per-use service, where you only pay for what you use.

We had our on-premises solution, and we also evaluated Apigee from Google. Ultimately, we felt that AWS, for our use case, was the best option. The main reasons are the ease of use and pricing.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to first read the documentation and follow the steps. Make a use case, create a proof of concept, and then migrate it to production environments. It's pretty easy to use.

This is a good product, but there is always room for improvement.