Amazon AWS Review

Google Compute Engine vs Amazon EC2

I have been using Amazon EC2 for quite some time now and I absolutely like it. They may not be the cheapest cloud-provider and they still have some things missing, like IPv6. But they are very flexible and offer a lot of features to make it easy scaling up and down when needed. I finally took some time to enroll myself into the Google Cloud. Looking at the Compute Engine it is just like EC2 with all the same bells, whistles and terminology. The only difference I see is the amount of available images that is almost endless on Amazon and only 2 Linux distributions at Google. I am not in need of Windows images, but they seem like a big miss on Google. Pricing structure is also the same, although Amazon has a free tier for 1 year which allows you to try before you buy. Another advantage in the Amazon pricing is the ability to pay upfront and get a discount on the hourly pricing. This quick comparison does not make me want to fire up one Google instance, even for trying. Please let me know if I am missing on features that could differentiate Google Compute Engine from AWS. I might want to come back and try again.
1 visitor found this review helpful
6 Comments
HenryReal UserTOP REVIEWERTOP 5

cool Ronny,

Would you please also share your take on:

1. The pros/cons of 10gen (MongoDB), DataStax (Apache Cassandra), Basho (Riak), Amazon Dynamo DB, Couchbase, HBase, & Redis ?

2. What are your “purchase criteria” that you considered when evaluating these solutions?

3. What is the “use case” for which you are deploying this NoSQL solution?

4. Did you consider any non-NoSQL products/ technology to address this specific use case?

5. How do you envision deploying your NoSQL solution in the near future?

Thanks

28 August 13
Developer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employeesVendor

When comparing Amazon EC2 with Google Compute Engine, I noticed that each one of them has pros and cons. For me, the most important pro of EC2 is that the code can be written in simple programming languages like C# and the most important con is that I will be charged minimum price even if I don't use any bandwidth. The most important pro of GCE is that the service is available free of cost for limited usage, and the most important con is the lack of support to C#. As a conclusion, from some points of view, the developer will choose Amazon EC2 and from other points of view the developer will choose Google Compute Engine.

03 November 13
kapilmalik1983ConsultantTOP REVIEWER

Excellent write up !! Apart from pricing, which would you recommend if we compare other services like customer support, scaling of servers, high availability features etc?

03 November 13
Database Expert with 51-200 employeesReal User

Having only been involved in Amazon products (RDS/EC2/S3)... the flexibility of their services are great and there helpdesk/support has been first class. I have recently been using Amazons Advanced Migration Ttechniques to move large databases from data centers to RDS instances, and the fact you can "spin up" the largest instances for 1 day to utilize the compute power to migrate your data and then turn it all off is brilliant.

23 January 14
kapilmalik1983ConsultantTOP REVIEWER

@Kal Heer. That's really great that they provide such features. Could you share the size of your databases? I am wondering how large they were.

19 April 14
rakeshgoelReal UserTOP 5

AWS is coming up with data centre in India for Indian businesses

14 July 15