Amazon AWS Review

Stable with good native tools and a relatively easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our partner.

We are using it for moving all the banking and insurance domains from on-premises systems to the cloud platform, which is managed by services. It is right from data integration, data inception to data processing, to advanced visualization and analytics. We are also using the AI and machine learning aspects as well.

What is most valuable?

We have been using the data ingestion.

There are native tools which are AWS Glue, which we are using for data integration.

We also use the Spark and Python-based integration which are both very good.

The solution has very good Lambda functions within AWS.

We also use AWS Redshift for data modeling along with the integration with Snowflake.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is excellent.

We've found the initial setup to be quite simple and straightforward.

Technical support is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be more competitive.

There need better integration tools whereby you could have widgets. It already technically has this, however, if they had widgets that could help with the journey from an on-premises legacy database management system, that would be ideal. There should be some accelerators that can convert and automate data pipelines into AWS so that users don't have to start from scratch.

Basically, if we had accelerators and tools that can help fast track and leverage existing data schemas, models, and then also, data pipelines that are already set up, it would help items to be quickly migrated rather than doing everything from scratch on the cloud.

We've used the solution for a couple of years. It's been a while.

The stability of the solution is very good. The product does not have any bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is the number one cloud product. It is extremely salable. A company shouldn't have any trouble expanding it.

From a user perspective, I would say from accounts, we are primarily into banking and insurance. We have around four to five of our banking accounts using it. They are a mid-scale bank.

We do plan to continue using the product.

Technical support is good. Overall, they are the number one cloud provider and they have an overall very high market capitalization. The support they have on offer is very good. We're satisfied with the level of service they offer.

We have also used the Azure platform as well.

The initial setup is easy. It's not overly complex. The deployment depends, however, it could take a few hours to maybe a day, as it is platform and software as a service. It is all managed by AWS. The installation and management require a bare minimum configuration.

The cost structure could be better. It needs to be more transparent. After COVID, it is competing directly with Azure - which is a bit more of a cost-effective option. It's also competing directly with Google. If they were cheaper, they would be much more competitive in the space.

From a licensing perspective, the cost of ownership is based on usage.

What other advice do I have?

We are consultants.

We are using the latest version of the solution. I cannot recall the exact version number at this time.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've enjoyed its capabilities so far.

I would recommend this solution to other companies and organizations.

There's a lot of due diligence which happens before organizations choose cloud solutions and then, of course, it needs to fit into the scenario. There is a cost-benefit analysis that has to be performed. It's a good idea to compare it to other platforms as well. Companies need to make sure it factors in the strategic landscape and the tools and technologies that the organization already has. If clients need assistance, we do participate in those strategic initiatives.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More Amazon AWS reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.